Friday, August 13, 2010

Sexy Apartment in the City

Well hello! I bet you thought I forgot about you.... not so! I've been enjoying my summer schedule, with the lack of routines allowing me to abandon a couple of responsibilities for a few weeks just for fun and a change of pace.  But I'm still here, and I'm back to blogging today.

I'm a big fan of Sex & the City, and I'm sure I'm not alone (or why else would they have made two movies after the series ended?).  One thing we all remember, whether you are a design nut or not, is how Carrie's original apartment was redone in the first movie, into a fashionable, brilliant space more befitting the character's personality than the dingy, dull and monochrome surroundings she'd  put up with until that point.


In the second movie, we see how Carrie decorates her space now that she is working with an unlimited budget and a lot more space, plus how she decorates for a couple rather than a single girl.  Now obviously, a fictional character did not design and decorate these spaces; rather it is set designer Lydia Marks who can take all of the much-deserved credit.

In the apartment Mr. Big and Carrie (now Mrs. Big?) occupy, there is a wonderful mix of color, pattern and texture.  None of the choices are "safe"... they are eclectic, colorful, and most of all, very interesting.  It is that unexpected foo dog, ruffled electric blue ottoman in the living room, and area rug with giant pink floral motif that make us sit up and pay attention.  I admire Lydia Marks so much and love that she found pieces that so distinctly speak to Carrie's personality as we know it: avant garde, willing to take any fashion risk, and upscale.




Take a look around your own interiors and imagine where you can add in some pieces that are completely unique and that will help express your style through your interior decor.  And for heaven's sake, don't forget to pour yourself a cosmo when you sit back and admire your work.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger